Monday, November 7, 2011

Fall & Faux Fur

At a time when everyone seems concerned with political correctness and being eco-friendly, it is no wonder that faux fur would be at the forefront of fall/winter fashion this year.

It took me a little while to find appreciation for this trend, but if treated respectfully it does look/seem rather cozy. (Notwithstanding, it can also look downright scary).




As with any other wardrobe piece, proportions are key. If your fur simply serves to add texture to your look, then your pairings can be a bit more bold. However, if you look like you traded places with Chewbacca for the day, you want to assume a minimalist approach elsewhere.



The cut of the clothing item is also something to be mindful of. Fur can be quite bulky, so one must be careful when choosing the style and length of his/her potential purchase. Personally, I prefer short hair varieties on hip-length vests; they work best with my frame and build. I feel as if the longer hair furs tend to create an almost sloppy appearance. I much rather prefer to appear pulled together, not coming away at the seams.




 


If you're not ready to go all out on fur, you can go for a fur-lined jacket or boot! Or, you could invest in a fur-accented handbag. These are all great ways of getting that luxe look without leaving your comfort zone. Just a little bit can go a long way when paired with simple jeans, tees, and/or sweaters.


I'm still on the prowl for a faux fur item to call my own. It can be tricky to find that perfect piece, but never forget, sometimes less is more. And, the bottom line is - you have love what you're in; otherwise, what's the point? So if you're game (pun intended), give it a try. But whatever you do, work what your momma gave you. :)

1 comment:

  1. I got a vest with a faux fur collar at the Ann Taylor outlets in Tannersville, PA. I wore it yesterday and affectionately referred to it as my squirrel!!!

    ReplyDelete