Saturday, April 23, 2011

Entrenched

One of my favorite fashion features of spring is the ever classic, always "in" trench coat. Trench coats have been couture for decades. One memorable trench coat toting individual is Humphrey Bogart as displayed in the movie, Casablanca. Boy, did he wear it with style! After watching his performance, how could you not want one? They give off such an air of adventure and a certain savoirfaire (that's know-how in plain English). I'm in! (And at this time, a big shout out goes to Mom, who is a big Humphrey fan). :)





In recent years, trench coats have fanned out from their singular and most familiar khaki color and double breast. Now, trench coats come in all sorts of colors, prints, and styles! And, with the emphasis on bright colors this spring, don't be shocked to to see one in an outstanding hue.







Length has also been updated as you can readily find shorter styles, which make me happy as I benefit from a style that hits right at my hip as opposed to mid-thigh or lower.





As spring started rolling in, I began to hunt for a trench coat that I really liked as I did not yet own a spring jacket suitable for wearing out. Finding one that fit into my budget was of primary concern. Secondarily, I was focused on the style, color, and fit - naturally. It was difficult to find an inexpensive one, and understandably so. I acknowledge that when it comes to fashion, something as timeless as a trench coat is worth spending a bit more money on than you may otherwise simply because you will likely get years upon years of usage out of it. However, one needs an extra $50+ in order to spend it, which is not a luxury I have had recently.

(If you're interested, you can click here to read a recently written article entitled, Is A Timeless Burberry Trench Coat Worth Your Full Tax Return (And Then Some)? that makes a great case for why spending nearly $1000 on a trench coat can be considered a wise investment. But if you're budget conscious. as I am, here is another article that highlights coats costing under $50).


I have also learned that if you're not 100% sold on something in store, it is likely not worth putting out the money for the item. So despite my grand desire, I turned away from not a few jackets before I found two I liked enough to try on. I was in Marshall's and happened upon a categorical trench coat with the type of modern appeal I was searching for - color: black; length: at my hip. Added noteworthy features - single breasted with a tiered design below the waist. It was cute and a little different. I called in my sister for a second opinion on this one - hence the fitting room photo.


My second option was the one I settled on, that my sister liked best, and which similarly appealed to me more for a few different reasons: Color - grey, suitable for just about any ensemble. Style: Single breast, mandarin style collar, cape sleeves. Length: stops at the hip. For all of these reasons, I liked this jacket more. The cape sleeves were a big hit with me as they were different, a little bit of a fashion risk so to speak as they are a bit out of the norm. Also, the mandarin collar is not something one may expect to find on a spring jacket - another plus. Oh, and let me not forget about the price tag: $19.99. SOLD!


So my search for a trench coat didn't land me a traditional one, but I am more than happy with my purchase. I continue to oogle at the pictures of various trenches that have been invading my magazines. Below are a few more designs that have tickled my fancy.

Ruffle Detail

Kimono Style
Military Style (with scarf) :)

One of my absolute favorite looks is this simple, safari-like look as worn by my beloved and beautiful sister, Erica. Looking debonair and ready for whatever life throws her way. I would dare say she could rival Humphrey! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment