Saturday, April 2, 2011

Eye Liner 411

One of my most beloved features are my eyes. They're big, brown, and beautiful. Hence, when I wear makeup, I always make sure to accentuate them.

When I was in college, I participated in a girl's only event where a graduate from a local "beauty institute" gave us the 411 on how to apply makeup well. Oftentimes, less is more. Our educator confessed that before learning a few simple techniques, she would go overboard with her makeup application, and rather than emphasize and accentuate her already beautiful features, she wound up looking like Mi Mi from the Drew Carey Show.

I learned two techniques that night that I have carried with me over the years:
  1. Applying eyeliner to your waterline. 
  2. "Layering" eye shadow.

Applying eyeliner to your lower waterline (that is, the small space behind your eyelashes on your lower lid) is great for large eyes as it minimizes their size. Whereas, if you apply eyeliner to your upper lash line, it gives the appearance of larger eyes.




So, I never wear eyeliner on my upper lid. Furthermore, I do not use liquid eyeliner; it is impossible. I attempted it a few times only to end up with incredibly terrifying looking eyes as the liner would get all over my actual eyeball. *shudder* I prefer pencil.

Oftentimes, people line their top and bottom lids; it looks great! It gives your eyes a dramatic effect and makes them a focal point of your overall look, which can be embellished or simplified depending on the thickness of the lines and/or colors of liner used.
Kim Kardashian

Here is simple table with 4 different techniques on how to line your eye for various effects - helpful & self explanatory:

Now because I apply my eyeliner to my lower waterline, I have some difficulty getting it to stay put. I did some digging and discovered not only an effective way to enhance the definition and improve its staying power, but also add a playful dimension to it.

I found these tips on an Indian Makeup & Beauty Blog. The process goes like this:
  1. Dry your waterline, using a Q-tip. By relieving the area of existing moisture, it allows the makeup you will subsequently apply set up better, thereby creating a more sure foundation.
  2. Apply your preferred eyeliner directly to the waterline.
  3. Using a slanted brush, apply eye shadow of the same color atop the eyeliner. As moisture accumulates throughout the day, it will make contact primarily with the powder of the eyeshadow, not your eyeliner, allowing it to remain intact all day. Also, it brightens and further intensifies the liner and its effects.
  4. To add a fun dimension to your look, you could use an eyeshadow that compliments or mimics the color of your eyeshadow. The possibilities here are endless. Just have fun!

Give it a try! I really like this technique because it is so versatile.

As an aside, I have recently discovered grey eyeshadow. It is a great color in that it can blend with just about every other color and adds extra pizazz without looking overdone.

I hope these insights have helped you. I extend a special thanks to Shuggra, the writer of the Indian Makeup & Beauty blog, for all of her tips, demonstration photos, and step-by-step instructions. I'll definitely be checking back there for more helpful hints.

No comments:

Post a Comment