Sunday, November 28, 2010

"I love my lips. Usta!"

Before I continue, I invite you to watch this amusing Veggie Tales short:





One of my favorite personal physical features are my lips. They are not outstanding, like Angelina Jolie's pout. But, they are nice, and I like them! My eyes are my most beloved natural accessory. While I do little else with makeup, if I wear any at all, it always goes on my eyes. Yet, because of my deep appreciation for my mouth, I enjoy dressing it up as well, though minimally. I usually use a neutral pink liquid lip tint by e.l.f. - their Luscious Liquid Lipstick line in either Baby Lips (#80530) or Pink Lemonade (#80828). I don't care for super shiny glosses or unnatural shades; they make my pucker a little too imposing for my tastes.

Baby Lips
Pink Lemonade

Recently, I dared to break away from my norm. In a magazine, I had read that plum shades are very "in" right now and would compliment my complexion and natural hues. So, I splurged on a $1.97 NYC lipstick in Sugarplum, #418. At my first application, Jon (my husband) immediately noticed and commented, "Since when do you wear lipstick? It's too dark for you." After I explained myself and a few minutes had passed, he reneged his previous statement; "Maybe it's not too dark. I'm just not used to it." Regardless, I liked it. It darkened my lips enough but not too much and with a deepness possible only with plum. I believe it is my new favorite fall/winter lip glaze.
Sugar Plum

Along with the color advice, the afore mentioned magazine also gave me the idea to use a brand like NYC that allows you to "try on" various shades without breaking the bank. A wise notion, I think. It is not worth spending big bucks if you are unsure you will even walk out of your bathroom with it on, let alone out the door. So my encouragement to you this time, dear readers, is again to muster up the courage to try different things. If something stands out to you, or as my mother says, "strikes you," there is a reason for that. And of course, you won't find winners all the time, but you never know until you try.

Furthermore, know that you can appreciate trends without wearing them. Skinny jeans, for example, are a really neat and fresh take on leg coverings, but with my boxy/pear-like shape, I cannot wear them. My muscular thighs and calves discount me from this one, and that's OK! I can still smile as I see girls prance around in their leggings and Uggs (so effortlessly chic). And while that might cause some initial disappointment, when it comes to fashion, it works both ways - what looks great on me will not look as stunning on others. Thus, we have reason to celebrate each other's uniqueness and individuality! So, go on; pick something! And maximize on it - whether minimally or extraordinarily. I think you'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

  1. What a good post. I'm usually never wearing make-up, just the basic eyeliner/mascara/concealer. I RARELY ever wear anything on my lips either except Chapstick lol and it is definitely a good idea to test out experimental colors with brands like N.Y.C. or any drug store brand before going in for the kill with MAC or any Sephora products. Although I have recently been wearing more eyeshadows and things. I have a TON of make-up but I have no idea how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh...skinny jeans are overrated. I'll bring mine next weekend and you can test drive em :)

    ReplyDelete