Tuesday, November 9, 2010

'Tis the Season to Need Moisturizer!

Winter weather has arrived, regardless of the fact that we will not witness the winter solstice for well over a month yet. My skin has certainly noticed the temperature shift and has already felt the effects of the dry, brisk winds.

Skin issues run in my family - thanks, Dad! But, they evidence themselves differently in each one of my siblings. My sister and I have been so nicely endowed with dry skin with the resulting irritation (both physical and emotional) only growing as the days get colder. My sister's skin is typically dry. I, however, have a combination of oily/dry skin, which leans more towards the dry description than oily. Most of the time, I do okay; I really can't complain. However, once it gets cold, the tune of my song quickly changes.

If I don't be careful, my dry skin, particularly on my legs, can be become full blown eczema, and that sucks all of the fun (and moisture, haha!) out of my day. Generally, it takes minimal action to thwart the crazed spells of itchiness, redness, and blotches; applying a good lotion to the skin directly after a shower usually does the trick.

Over the years, I've tried many different types of lotions, so here is a list of a few of my favorites.


1. Aveeno Baby, Soothing Relief Moisture Cream - I have to credit my sister with this find. Having had 2 kids (who also have some skin issues - thank you, Grandpa!), she was introduced to this cream and invariably began using it on herself. It works great. Specifically to help ease the ill symptoms of eczema, it is one of the few products I've tried that really does soothe my irritated legs.
2. Look Ma, New Hands Softening Hand Lotion with Paraffin - If you have any degree of cracks in your hands, this stuff will fix you right up! The paraffin fills in all those crevices, making your hands feel unbelievably soft. The only downside to this lotion I have ever found is that due to the paraffin wax engineered into the cream, if you need to wash your hands after applying,  you will likely need to lather twice and afterward reapply the lotion. The wax certainly keeps moisture locked in, but also locks it out. An exceptional lotion overall.
3. Victoria's Secret's Body Lotion - If you have fragrance sensitive skin, this lotion could be your worst nightmare because it is highly fragranced, which is actually one of its selling points for me. It moisturizers your skin decently well, but can smell  almost as potent as some body sprays. The travel sizes are good accompaniments to your handbag. 
4. Huggies Naturally Refreshing Lotion with Cucumber & Green Tea - Work turned me on to this lotion. Its great for everyday use. "It contains a natural blend of green tea and cucumber along with a touch of aloe and Vitamins A & E." It's a general moisturizer intended for babies, but just works just as well for everyone else. The fragrance is light, and it moisturizes well. I use it daily.
5. Aquaphor Healing Ointment - Use this for those extreme cases, when your hands have become painfully cracked and parched. This ointment also serves as a great tool in healing after a tattoo! However, that being said, be aware that it is not a lotion, but an ointment and, while it does absorb into the skin, it goes on more like a Vaseline.

Wintertime is own of my favorite times of year. The cold and fallen snow sets the magical undertone. Combine the natural ambiance with a few good family-centered holidays, and it is easy to see where the good tidings come from. But do remember, it is good tidings of comfort and joy they sing about, so hopefully these reviews will help with the comfort part so you can be engaged less in scratching and more in joy-making. :) Here's to the holiday season!!

1 comment:

  1. Great advice!

    I never thought of using baby moisturizers. Maybe this winter will be much more tolerable for my skin.

    ReplyDelete