Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Latest Obsession

My latest obsession of the fashion world revolves around flats - simple, low-maintenance, no heel, super functional shoes. I love them because of their versatility. Back in January, I purchased this go-with-everything pair from Charlotte Russe, and so far, they are the only pair I own.

To support my latest craze, I decided to check out Payless.com just to see what flats they had to offer this season and get ideas as to what I may look towards purchasing in the near future. After selecting the women's department link, I was greeted by a list 14 categories long, which reminded me that I do not fully grasp the intricacies of all of the different shoe types out there.

So, I did a little digging. The following is a list of many of the more popular shoe types, but is by no means exhaustive:

  • Flats (regular or ballet)
  • Heels (high or kitten)
  • Espadrilles
  • Wedges
  • Pumps
  • Mary Janes
  • Loafers
  • Slingbacks
  • Sandals
  • Boots
  • Peep Toes
  • Platforms
  • Mules
  • Clogs
  • Oxfords
  • & So On & So Forth...
I will not go into the details of every category listed above, but will touch on a few. To begin, I will investigate the one that inspired this post in the first place - Flats.

Flats range in style and construction from sandals to closed toe varieties. They generally have little to no heel; hence, as the name suggests, your foot remains flat while wearing them. Now, there are also Ballerina Flats, which are a category all their own. About.com defines them in this way:
Inspired by ballet slippers, ballerina flats have become a staple in women's footwear. Having a flat heel, closed toe, and a slipper-style construction, ballerina flats are typically low-cut, meaning they show a lot of the top of the foot. Made from a wide variety of materials, ballerina flats can be dressy or casual, and are sometimes called "skimmers" or "ballet flats.
Seemingly, designers have immense amounts of fun when creating these lovely must-haves. Popular fashion inspires their look. I'm in love with these American Eagle Gingham Audrey Knot Ballet Flats (pictured left) and intrigued by Christian Siriano's Satin Kimono Flats (pictured right). By wearing flats, you can complement your outfit or add something extra. It's really up to you! But no matter how you incorporate them, they offer yet another effortless and fun way to dress!







Espadrilles are a more casual shoe, generally speaking. You can expect to see them during warmer weather and are characterized by the top of the shoe being made of fabric and their wedge-like heels made out of or made to resemble rope or woven materials. I am a big fan of this shoe type for summer; however, I do not own a pair. Maybe this year!



 In case you were wondering, Pumps are identified by Wiktionary  as "a woman's shoe that has medium or high heels and no fastenings."

Clogs and Mules are similar in construction as they typically have no back; however, clogs (as their name suggests) are more clunky due to their usually wooden or hard-material, thick-heeled sole. Whereas, mules can be rather dressy and sleek. Nevertheless, an advantage to clogs is that, depending on their design, they can give the appearance of boots without the "bulk."





Mules

Clogs

I will conclude this brief synopsis of shoe styles with nifty Oxfords. Wikipedia enlightens us:
Oxfords are traditionally constructed of leather and were historically plain, formal shoes but are now available in a range of styles and materials that complement both casual and formal forms of dress. It is derived from the Oxonian, a half-boot with side slits that gained popularity at Oxford University in 1800. The side slit evolved into a side lace that eventually moved to the instep, as students rebelled against knee-high and ankle-high boots. The toe cap can either be lined with punched holes or two narrow rows of stitching.
I think these shoes are just really neat and a great complement to menswear inspired outfits, lending them extra, earthy sophistication or vintage polish.


Naomi Watts




Kristen Stewart & Olivia Palermo
Shoes are a wonderful accessory, but one of those fashion add-on's that significant others usually loathe due to the amount of closet space they occupy. I have resigned myself to never having a "rational" argument strong enough to convince my husband as to why I need more than one pair of sneakers and one pair of "dress shoes." Likewise, he will likely never have an argument strong enough to convince me why he needs the latest techno-gadget. So, we will agree to disagree, and I will continue to shop for bargain shoes that make me smile and complement my wardrobe.

I hope this post has helped clarify things for you. If you would like further information, you can check out About.com's section devoted entirely to shoe styles for women. About.com offers a decent overview of styling options, advice on how to find the proper fit, and what's popular currently. Best wishes to all for happy feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment