Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Taking the Front Row to Fitness!

I am writing this blog following a 51 minute sweat session, which featured a total body circuit that incorporated strength and cardiovascular training (thank you EA Active) and Zumba. My body is tired, but it hurts so good. I have been looking forward to my workout all day. I am a highly active person with a highly active mind. Relaxation for me generally does not occur by passively sitting, perhaps watching TV or reading a book. I wind down and shake off daily stresses through movement (or a nap, that's the only way I can successfully shut myself down). So, many times exercise is my cure all, and the released endorphins certainly don't hurt. :)

Update! In case you were wondering, back in January I remarked that I was helping my father get back on track with his overall fitness. I am happy to report in the last 2 months, he has dropped 25 pounds!! I would still like to see him exercise a little more. But he's on a great streak, and I am very proud of him.

I also want to alert my readers of a national movement that is afoot, named, "The President's Challenge." For full details, you can visit the link, but here is the nutshell version: The white house, namely Michelle Obama, is extremely interested in the overall physical fitness of America, and not just kids - everyone. Enveloped within the President's Challenge is the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award (PALA) challenge, which calls all adults to "be active 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week, for 6 out of 8 weeks." If one completes this regimen, he/she can submit his/her log and receive the PALA (all of this can be done via the website).

Admittedly, the idea of committing to 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week for 6 weeks seems a bit daunting. But the President's Challenge does not seek to turn everyone into a gym buff. Rather, they want you to find the value in everyday activity, however simple or complex. Activity is the state of being active! It doesn't have to include squats, bicep curls, or elliptical machines. Housework, playing with your children, or taking your dog on a walk all count towards the 30 minutes requested. Furthermore, one does not have to complete the 30 minutes in one shot; he/she can spread it out over the course of the day. Certainly, sustained activity is better than quick and/or sporadic; nevertheless, something is always better than nothing.

If you're up for the challenge, I encourage you - give it a go! Even if you are unable to exercise 5 days per week and only average 2-3 times instead, that in and of itself is an achievement and should not be overlooked. In addition, if you would like to partner with my workplace, My Gym, who is an official corporate advocate of this program, we would love to add you to our "roster" of active individuals. You can simply contact me through this blog or via e-mail (mrs.jcook811@gmail.com). I can send you a log sheet, and or you can send me your weekly data. It is a proven fact that one succeeds far better when supported by others; what do you have to lose!?

Whether you join in the President's Challenge or not, to help you on your way, I would recommend a membership to www.myfitnesspal.com. "MyFitnessPal is a diet and fitness community built with one purpose in mind: providing you with the tools and support you need to achieve your weight loss goals." It includes free calorie counters, diet tips, and an exercise log. My sister invited me to join, and I am hooked. Designers make this tool incredibly appealing & convenient by offering mobile apps for the iphone, blackberry, and android. Having your fitness diary at your fingertips makes it easy to track your progress and data.

This week I've been focusing extra on eating right and exercising well. When the whole picture comes together, you can't help but feel great! C'mon friends! Get movin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment