Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Magic of the 4-Way Nail Buffer

How many of you were stopped in the middle of one of your holiday shopping excursions by someone from a hand/nail products kiosk??? I was snagged only once this season, and the sales rep presented a fantastic demonstration of how simply you can achieve a healthy, shiny looking nail just using a unique buffer. Admitedly, I was impressed, but I did not have $50-$75 to drop at the time for the packaged deal.

Now, I enjoy a manicure as much as the next gal, but manicures and I do not mix well. Generally, unless I get acrylic or gel tips, I can't even walk out of the salon without already smudging the polish, and I barely last a day before I chip one. Notwithstanding, I do appreciate healthy looking nails. So, I did a quick search on eBay for a 4-way nail buffer. Turns out, they are incredibly cheap. I purchased one from karlinsu88 Nail Expert eBay store for a grand total of $4.00.



The flowered side serves as an emory board. The black side (unpictured) strengthens the nail by smoothing out the ridges that make them more fragile and/or brittle. The gray side (also unpictured) prepares the nail for the final buffing it receives from the white side. You do not need to use any type of chemicals with this product; it uses the natural oils of the nail to strengthen and improve their overall appearance.



Unbuffed Left Hand
Buffed Right Hand
Above, I have photographyed my hands to demonstrate a before and after effect. You may not see a tremendous difference here, but I can attest that the buffer does indeed yield results. It is a bit more clear when comparing one finger from each hand.



Unbuffed Left Index Finger

Buffed Right Index Finger
On the left, the ridges are clearly visible. They are much more minimized on the right. It is hard to capture with a camera the difference in shine, but the unbuffed nail has a far more matte finish while the buffed nail now carries a definite sheen.

The sales woman who attempted to sell me her product claimed that the shine would remain for a whole month. I would say truthfully that it lasted about two weeks. Nevertheless, it is quite literally a small price to pay and very minimally time consuming to keep your nails healthy and healthy-looking for two weeks at a time. When she mentioned that the ridges' absence would add vitality and strength to the nail, I was a bit skeptical. But, when I trimmed my nails following her treatment to only my right thumb, that nail was much firmer and seemed "thicker," indeed stronger than the others. It was then that I performed my eBay search and made my purchase.

If you are able to maintain manicures well, kudos to you. I think this product will only serve to better your nails' overall health. If you are like me and struggle with keeping your nails looking nice but enjoy the fine tuning, you can't go wrong with this simple device. I find it helpful and valuable, and it never hurts to share a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. I too have once been stopped at the mall and they did a test run on one of my fingers. It really looked awesome, but shelling out even more than $20 on a nail buffer. I went to Harmon or CVS and bought one similar, probably costing about the same as yours, like $4. I used it only a couple of times and it did make my nails look healthy. (I bite my nails) Afterwards, I forgot about it lol but hey, these things work and now I might go out and buy another one!

    ReplyDelete