Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Popular Pairings

Great fashion comes from great pairings. I'm talking about colors, fabrics, prints, accessories, shoes - the works. However, the key is in creating a balance. If your top stands out, your shoes should not. If your handbag and shoes pop with color, the rest of your outfit should be muted, or basic. If you choose to wear a statement piece of jewelry, you should then pick other wardrobe pieces that will compliment and thereby enhance the jewelry, not compete with it. Etc., etc., etc..

One of the most helpful pieces of information I ever came across was concerning fabric pairings: If your top skims your body, you will balance your look best by having a flare to your pant leg or a more flouncy skirt. Or, vice versa, if your top is flowy and roomy, like a tunic, you can break out those leggings.


Emma Watson



Victoria Beckham

One of the more difficult but potentially high payoff pairings is achieved when you mix prints. Only recently did it become in vogue to mix stripes with polka dots and florals with plaids. The thing to keep in mind for this trend is to stay within a color scheme.



From yournextdress.com



From more. com

Length also plays a factor. Depending  on your body type and what features you want accentuated, where your clothes fall on your body also plays a big role in creating balance. I found a helpful article concerning this topic at eHow.com, entitled "How to Accent Your Best Body Part." Check it out!

As always, possibilities are only as endless as your wardrobe is big. :) I recently put together a great outfit with a simple, deep sea green turtleneck sweater with a gray pencil skirt that fell just at my knees. I accessorized with one of my vibrant brooches and wore calf-high black boots. I looked and felt very chic. I meant to snag a picture, but didn't get a chance. I was quite proud of my pairings and was happy to have employed a few different techniques to arrive at such a great look. See what you can come up with with your next outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment