Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dressing for the Holidays Made Easy

Undoubtedly, one of the most beloved features of the holiday season is the decorations. What would the holidays be without the trimmings? The bright colors, garlands, mistletoe, lights, etc. all turn our neutral homescapes into beautiful, wistful wonderlands that help get us into the holiday spirit. I love this time of year.

Along with the opportunity to "deck your halls," the holidays also offer an occasion to incorporate certain colors and looks into our wardrobe we may normally find a bit too over the top for the normal day to day.

For instance, jewel tones tend to appear in full force at holiday parties. They are beautiful and rich, intense and deep. When applied to one's wardrobe, they can really make your outfit pop! Designers have created pieces in many different colors with that great shiny, satiny look, so you can work with the colors that are in your palette. A simple jewel toned blouse or skirt can make this incorporation effortless.



What's more, the fashion industry is trying to lend a helping hand with your outfit shopping. Check it out!

JCPenney offers a "little red book" on their website that showcases some outfits and accessories that implement many of the most popular trends. Black is huge this season, so do not be surprised to see it everywhere.




Charlotte Russe's "Must Have Trends" are saturated with sequins and satiny finishes. They also offer options with lace, feathers, and/or ruffles. If it's hot right now, they have it. The dress on the left is a nice pick, I think. It strikes me as elegant, feminine, yet simple. (And its currently, 25% off!)





Macy's "Holiday Dressing" category has a subcategory solely dedicated to "Shine." Their other distinctions include fur, lace, velvet, and statement jackets. Another good place to find ideas!

Target offers a nifty tool via their facebook page, a My Look Maker. Using Merona fashions, you can piece together a whole look. You can experiment with various tops, bottoms, and even accessories and get a good feel for how the whole ensemble will look. It's rather fun!

And fashion should be fun! This past weekend, Jon and I attended our church's Christmas banquet. We helped with cleanup afterward, so we passed on our best duds. Nevertheless, I added some flare to a simple burgundy sweater and black jeans combo with one of my brooches. Jon kept it casual, but he made me very proud when it came to his outerwear. Not only did he choose to wear his spiffy peacoat, but he also wore a scarf and fedora. He looked great, and I was impressed that my husband was accessorizing.

Next week, I have my work holiday party, followed by Jon's work holiday banquet. I look forward to the adventures I will have in deciding what to wear. I hope the process of outfit decision making goes well for you in the weeks ahead! Feel free to post any pictures of outfits you really loved; I'd love to see them! Happy holiday dressing!


Burgundy sweater w/brooch.

Peacoat with scarf & brooch.

Jon looking snazzy!

2 comments:

  1. you know what cracks me up? The fact that we almost have the same hair :)

    Love you sister - and you look beautiful as always!

    PS: I have a very nice jewel-tone top to wear this season...you should be proud

    ReplyDelete