Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Retraction: A Stinker? Not me!


Users & readers beware! I wrote my last blog only a few days after beginning to use the Mitchum Clinical Performance Deodorant. Since then, I have developed two small, severely dry rashes, one on each underarm. They're uncomfortable and remind me of when I had poison ivy in my armpits at age 9 (yes, it was terrible). I am unsure whether this reaction occurred because my skin is highly sensitive right now with the colder weather, or because I applied the deodorant twice in one day as a means of "freshening up".  I did a little research and found I am not the only one who has had this experience. Here are two reviews I took from Amazon.com. They are not written for the women's version, but I have to believe the formula is the virtually the same. Read on:


"I loved Mitchum's. I used to use the cream, great stuff but a little messy. I then switched to the solid, great stuff but the residue sucked. Then they came out with some Hydro or was it Hybrid protection and I LOVED IT. I guess they discontinued it but when I saw the smart solid it had all the makings of the hydro stuff. ITS NOT THE SAME. I tried this one and it made me sweat more, I know that doesnt seem to make sense but I have the sweat stains to prove it. I came home today and jumped in the shower because I was so sweaty and itchy (itchy?). Once I got out of the shower I realized my arm pits hurt and were red and swollen. IT SUCKS lol. So I threw some Gold Bond on it and did a search and here I am. I am sure it works for some, but just be aware that it can potentially cause a rash. SENSITIVE SKINNED PEOPLE BEWARE. Bring back the hyrdo (or whatever it was called)." - Clay Sanders
 "I know many have had good experiences with Mitchum, but I want to also let you know that there is a large group of people who have had very bad ones. Be wary that this stuff does contain the highest level of active ingredient allowable -- this can mean bad things if your skin has a bad reaction to it. Yes, it'll close up your pores... nothing's getting out of there. If your sole aim is to stop sweating in the arms, then this is the best you can probably get. However, people like me have negative reactions to it. It basically causes this really painful rash and makes the arms quite sore. I don't normally write reviews, but I figured this would be the best way to let others know that this product needs to be used with a bit of caution. Many others have experienced these strange rashes as well. It's likely the result of the pores being clogged and/or an allergic reaction of some sort. Be wary when trying this stuff, and if your arms begin to get sore or if rashes appear, stop using it immediately." - Marcus Stuhr 
Thankfully, with the use of Aquaphor's Healing Ointment, the rashes are clearing up quickly. But, I guess its back to Dove for me! I don't claim to be an expert. I write from my experience - both the good and the bad. I still think this product works very well. The high concentration of the active ingredient simply does not bode well for sensitive types such as myself. Hope this helped and saved someone some painful irritation! And I apologize for any I may have caused by my recommendation.

2 comments:

  1. Good job on the follow up post. Sorry that you have gnarly pits but.. you live, you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Glad you found out sooner rather than later and that you didn't have a more severe reaction!

    ReplyDelete