Sunday, December 19, 2010

Scarves: A Must-Have Winter Accessory

Scarves are outrageously popular right now, and I am totally in on this one. I currently own 12 and counting. They vary in shades, prints, and fabrics. I love the variety possible with this accessory; manufacturers offer so many different ones to choose from! I also am a big fan of their versatility as most contain a few different colors within their patterns, which makes them adaptable to a greater number of outfits.

Here is my collection thus far:



Plaids

Chunky Ones



Dark Green & Black
Reds W/"Jewel" Accents
For Anytime


You can hardly mess up on this one. The key is in the tying. Sure, it is perfectly fine to employ the simple toss, basic knot, or European ascot. They are efficient and easy! But if you want, you can go that extra mile and employ some less known or worn techniques. This proves especially advantageous if, like me, you own quite a few scarves and jump at any opportunity to wear one. I recently learned how to create a pretzel-like knot, thanks to this video on YouTube. I had seen pictures of it, but could not figure out how to create it for myself. I think it's a neat spin on the regular knot.





I also found this video very helpful. It offers several how-to's that are rather easy, yet fun and stylish. I especially enjoy how one of the styles allows for a brooch to be added to the scarf to dress it up a little more. :)





For the men folk, this website offers 9 different tying techniques. Most techniques are universal and can be worn by men or women, but some of the more dainty looking ones I'm sure you would pass on, so hopefully this helps. (As a side note: KinoWear is a blog dedicated to men's practical fashion; it may be worth book marking if you are into that).

Lastly, I found this fabulous website that shows pictures of various styles with step by step instructions on how to create them. Score! Not only does it provide hints useful for chunky or pashmina scarves, but also for head scarves and bandana-like styles as well!

Scarves are an amazingly fun accessory. I absolutely love them and enjoy the flare they give my every day clothes. I hope these tying resources help you stay warm and stylish the whole winter through.

1 comment:

  1. I like your collection! I enjoy your plaid scarves very much! I only have one scarf that I wear for only when I shovel snow lol but hey, that's what they're there for! I'm sure you will look ravishing in your scarf with a nice brooch!

    ReplyDelete