Monday, December 13, 2010

Misguided Op-POSE-ition

I really enjoy yoga...now. When it first became popular back when I was in college, I thought, "You'll never find me in a downward facing dog!" But how wrong I was for writing it off! My initial hesitation was due to the fact that I thrive off of heart pumping, sweat your pants off, sore the next day workouts. They energize me and make me feel strong. In short, they're empowering. Yoga seemed to me to be a snooze, having to extend through all off those awkward movements like a ballerina. And with grace? I do karate! I have little of that (just ask Jon). So, I never tried it. I totally respected those who did, as I recognized that they possessed a different type of discipline than I.
Downward Facing Dog

When I got the Wii Fit Plus last year, I was intrigued that it had the training option of yoga. Nevertheless, it was many a boxing exercise and strength training session before I even opened the menu. Eventually, I did - more out of necessity than want. I truly do strive to make exercise a daily part of my life. I don't usually succeed every day. Generally, I average a sweat session 2-3 times per week. Thankfully, my job is very active, so I do not feel so bad about that number. But anyway, if I find myself with the time to bang out a 20-minute workout, I do. (It is amazing once you discipline yourself to carve out 20 or so minutes for exercise how small a time commitment it actually is and how quickly it goes by - just saying). But there are some days when I have karate training that evening or my body is just physically tired from flipping kids all week that a hard, strenuous workout is impractical and could be injurious. This is precisely the predicament I was met with the first day I decided to give yoga a try.

I applied myself to several of the poses, paying close attention to the directions given by my virtual personal trainer. And to my amazement, I really enjoyed it. It did not give me the same endorphin high I usually got from working out, but the stretching eased some of my aches and pains. Furthermore, I've always been a fan of stretching. Training in the martial arts works your muscles rigorously. The only way to ease the after-class tenderness, and/or avoid injury during it, is by stretching. Plus, after having achieved a full straddle split somewhere around brown belt, I was not about to let my limbs' flexibility go by the wayside. Yoga, I found, is like advanced, intentional stretching. Combine the elongation of muscle tissue with deep breathing, and you have a lovely recipe for relaxation.

Gate Pose
Recently, I've been engaging in yoga with more frequency. I stick to the poses I can put together in the My Wii Fit Plus Routine feature, so I would still dub myself a novice. But I love what I do. The downward facing dog is probably my #1 favorite pose because of the nice stretch it gives to my lower back. I also really enjoy the warrior and gate. poses. They both engage a few different muscle groups, and the greater the overall stretch, the better I feel.

I've heard/read stories like this many times - someone was wary, even terrified, to try something new, and after mustering up the courage to try it, fell in love. I will likely never replace my strength/cardio training with yoga, but I enjoy supplementing with it. Variety in your fitness routine allows for your body to never get bored with or used to the familiar movements, which will allow for continued growth, not stagnation. (You're probably all too acquainted with that dastardly plateau everyone hits at some point in their fitness life). It still amazes me every few months when I take a week off completely (rest is important) or throw in something entirely new, how results appear so quickly. Changing things up is like a jumpstart to your body and in many ways to your metabolism also.
Warrior Pose

So, if you find you are in a fitness rut, change it up. If you run, try biking. If you dance, try boxing. The key is to challenge your muscles differently so you can "shock" them into further growth and/or refinement. Give it a try! What do you have to lose?

2 comments:

  1. I took yoga in college, as a 1 credit course for only 6 weeks in my last semester. It was AWESOME. Before that, I never gave yoga a chance but it was really cool. After only 5 weeks (I didn't go one time) it was cool seeing how disciplined I was in keeping stance in some of the crazy poses. It was a beginners course so we didn't balance ourselves on one hand, but the things I learned were very interesting. I am not a patient person and doing 3 Sun Salutations in a row were kind of annoying, but well worth it in the end. My personal favorite was a cool-down Child's Pose with my arms behind me.. It just felt SO nice after standing in a wrangled position for a while. By the end of the half semester, I actually got my heals down to the ground on a Downward Dog, which was an accomplishment to me. After the class ended, I faded away from yoga but I still have my sweet mat and maybe, just maybe, I'll get my ass back into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about trying yoga, but after doing ballet 3 times a week, I'm a bit hesitant about being beaten up.

    Also, check out the Bar Method at www.barmethod.com. It's a combination of ballet, yoga, and pilates. I'll be checking this out next week or possibly after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete