Thursday, December 23, 2010

Q-tips: A Quality Product

I recently marvelled at the versatility of Q-tips. Have you ever taken the time to read the back of a box of Q-tips? I'm a reader. Not so much of books, but I was the type of kid who always read the back of the cereal box on Saturday mornings. I read shampoo bottles and toothpaste tubes when *ahem* sitting in the bathroom. So naturally, at some point, I did read the back of the Q-tip package and thought, "Yeah, I bet that would prove useful for...." On Q-tip's website, they have a whole section dedicated to its "Variety of Uses," including Holiday Crafts; take a look!


But since this is an HBA blog, I want to focus on their great efficiency as it pertains to makeup application. I always knew that you could use Q-tips as a makeup applicator, but somewhat scoffed at the idea. Why use a Q-tip when my compact comes with those fancy brushes? Yeah, those fancy brushes that, if you are like me and use quad eyeshadows, end up messing up your application due to residual makeup. I would be carefully trying to apply a light, golden shadow to my upper eyelid (after having applied black eyeshadow up to my first eyelid crease - a feature of my smoky eye look) only to get an outline of black at the recess of my brow bone - not flattering at all. I was attempting to accomplish this very same thing the other day when I spotted a Q-tip on a nearby shelf. What did I have to lose?

Answer: nothing. Outcome: glorious. My application was flawless! There was no residual, unwanted shadow. Every shade went on cleanly and precisely, and after I was done, I simply tossed it in the garbage! Simplicity's genius! As it turns out, Q-tip is no stranger to how well it performs in the makeup department, and knowing that women put them to use in just that way, they have packaged the suave swabs in such a fashion that they are counter top friendly.




May I present to you the Q-tip Vanity Pack! It contains 285 Q-tips and retails for about $3-$5. They are biodegradable and also made from 100% cotton. The convenience is outstanding. I'm sold.
In addition to listing its many uses, the Q-tip website kindly gives consumers a guide for how to achieve a few commonly sought after makeup effects, such as the smoky eye. And since Q-tips work well for more than just eyeshadows, techniques for your lips and/or for "facial contouring" are also provided. 

Q-tip firmly believes in its product and its versatility. What makes Q-tips better than other generic cotton swabs? They boast that because the swabs are made with 100% cotton, they are the softest ones on the market. Furthermore, my mother says that unlike other imitations, the cotton sticks to the stick! Other brands have been known to unravel or pull away from the stick in mid-use - a scenario you do not want to be met with as you are hurriedly readying yourself for ____ (fill in social situation here).

So, for the time being, I think I will shy away from "fancy brushes" and start using Q-tips with more frequency. And for those who are environmentally friendly and may be cringing at the thought of the additional waste this adaptation will cause, may I remind you, they are biodegradable. Problem solved! I encourage you, readers, to try them as well. Part of the cause of my makeup mishaps likely has to do with the fact that I do not own a nice set of makeup brushes (a must have for makeup die-hards), so if you do own a set and have no problems, stick with them! But in a pinch when those brushes are not within reach, remember you can always grab a Q-tip and be confident in the resulting look. Happy Swabbing!



2 comments:

  1. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!? We are totally the same person because when I'm on the pot, i ALWAYS have something in my hands to read. What a strange little quirk that you and I both have. I always use Q-Tips not for make-up application, but to correct any errors! I don't have "nice" brushes but the ones I do have, work pretty well. I am a Q-Tip fanatic. They're also good for squeezing a pimple (hehe) so you don't use your grubby fingers and get any dirt in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo good thought! Never thought of that! How sanitary! :)

    ReplyDelete